Are you interested in making a difference in the lives of Latinos within the Commonwealth of Virginia? We invite you to become a member of the Virginia Latino Higher Education Network (VALHEN).
The mission of VALHEN is to support, promote, and advocate for Latino success and advancement in higher education, for the benefit and betterment of the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Establish a network of Latino and non-Latino faculty and administrators in public and private colleges, universities and community colleges who can also serve as mentors and role models to our Latino students;
- Work with community partners to build outreach programs which will address Latino issues and barriers to higher education and promote participation;
- Work with our higher education institutions to improve access and retention for Latino students, increase the numbers of Latino faculty and staff, and create campus climates which are nurturing and culturally sensitive;
- Conduct research on Virginia’s Latino population and education;
- Work with funding partners to establish scholarships and programs which will promote educational opportunities for Latino students;
- Work with policy makers to advocate for programs and policies, both at the state and institutional levels, which will facilitate access and promote success; and
- Disseminate information about relevant educational issues affecting the Latino community in the Commonwealth via a Listserv and Website.