The VALHEN Hispanic College Institute (HCI) is a highly successful residential program that prepares Hispanic students in the Commonwealth of Virginia to enter and succeed in higher education.
The program is based on research and input from Hispanic educators and community leaders, and much of the content is delivered by Hispanics who can relate to the students’ experiences and challenges. The program provides clear and practical college application and financial aid information, and allows students to have the opportunity to engage with successful Hispanic leaders and role models who will help inform them about career and educational opportunities. If admitted, students will:
Hispanic College Institute
Applications are now open for HCI 2017 – Click HERE
- Live on Virginia Tech’s beautiful campus
- Receive help writing a college application essay
- Participate in STEM-related workshops (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics)
- Learn and/or improve public speaking, presentation and interviewing skills
- Experience increased awareness of community-focused civic engagement
- Understand the financial aid and the FAFSA application processes
- Acquire knowledge on how to search for available scholarships and other types of financial aid
- Meet and engage with Hispanic leaders and role models to learn about their career successes
- Have the opportunity to meet with college admissions and financial aid representatives
- Compete for available scholarships
- Participate in a College, Career and Community Resource Fair
Applications for HCI 2017 are now open!
There are a limited number of spots available, so apply today – click HERE
The program is free to the students, with free transportation, food and lodging.
- 2.5 GPA or above.
- Current high school sophomore (rising junior) or junior (rising senior).
- Enrolled full-time in a Virginia high school.
FOR PROFESSIONAL & COLLEGE VOLUNTEERS
For professionals wishing to volunteer for HCI 2017, please email our Operations Director at firstname.lastname@example.org
For college students wishing to volunteer, please apply here by April 30th.
VALHEN wishes to thank the HCI Volunteer Chairs and the vast number of other volunteers, including members of VALHEN, its Board of Directors, and other community volunteers for the many hours spent helping make HCI a reality. VALHEN also wishes to thank our generous sponsors for their support and faith in our mission. Without these individuals and sponsoring organizations, this endeavor would not be possible!
VALHEN would like to thank the following organizations for their generous sponsorship of the 2015 and previous HCI programs. We look forward to your continued support for this year’s HCI!